December 10, 2014
I don’t know about you, but during life’s persistently hectic patches, I find that it helps to knit small log cabin squares. Or whatever unchallenging yet absorbing thing one likes to knit. For me, right now, it’s 18-stitch log cabin squares in Noro Silk Garden.
I have a few (cough) spare skeins of the stuff, plus a whomping bag of leftovers from my many log cabin blankets. Some of my leftovers are just a yard or two. I’ve sorted them by color. The vague goal is to create tonal squares that (hopefully) will read as solids when they are arranged into whatever they are going to be.
I don’t know what they are going to be. I am just finding it very soothing — each square the equivalent of a deep cleansing breath — to knit log cabins while pondering whatever Mr. Noro was thinking when he came up with some of these color combinations. I love that man. He has given me so much joy.
The other thing I’ve been doing is knitting up a big pile of Christmas gifts. I know! Crazy talk! Leave of senses! After years of being sensible and avoiding the obligation of deadline gift knitting, I decided to go for it. (Funny how the scarves get smaller as December 25 approaches.)
Speaking of great gifts. A few weeks ago, I received the gift of a kit for a New York Beanie from Wool and the Gang. The kit contained 3 balls of their wonderfully dense, chewy wool. I got 3 beanies out of the kit. (There is enough left over for a 4th one, using all 3 colors. There are lots of options.) Each beanie took exactly 45 minutes, including the sewing-up. (The duplicate-stitched “NY” took another hour, because I had to relearn duplicate stitch and fight with it a bit. Duplicate stitch at this scale — the yarn is roving, basically — had me alternating between giggles and swears.)
These beanies did not even skim the surface of the Christmas gift stash. People just grabbed them, murmuring “this must be for me.” Some kind of Manifest Beanie Destiny.
I barely got this shot of Allison wearing hers at sewing circle. (Plug for Allison Moorer: her new record is available for preorder now. Voice of an angel, soul of a poet, and Good Hat Head, in one person. Hardly seems fair.)
Given the doorbusting demand for this beanie, I made a few more out of Cascade Magnum, which is also a quality bulky yarn. Guess what? They are a bit less substantial and not quite as nice as the ones made with the Wool and the Gang yarn. The Gang knows its Wool! But in no way did this stop these beanies from being snapped up immediately. Any beanie in a storm. Mi beanie es su beanie.
One of my Cascade Magnum beanies was by a friend’s special request for her spiritual leader, Rinpoche. I did a good job tinkering with the fit (it needed to be less hipster and more lama) and matching beanie to robes.
You may now refer to me any enlightened beings in need of hats.
Recent Blog Posts
November 26, 2014 |
Dear Kay, With Thanksgiving upon us, I’d like to offer up a holiday recipe that we’ve been discussing over on the Instagram. You may say: “No photo; didn’t happen.” Well, I’ve got the pix to prove it. Birthday...
November 19, 2014 |
Dear Kay, The pile of yarn doesn’t seem to be getting any smaller. I knit and knit and knit, yet the ecru yarn persists. It’s . . . spawning. There must be five miles of ecru yarn here. It does not help that I am being offered skeins...
November 17, 2014 |
Dear Kay, In the interest of not thinking about anybody’s derriere today, we’re going to move along to some wholesome, family-oriented knitting. (I have to say that having one’s traffic quintuple due to a well-placed lopi sweater...
We like to party. #aluminumfoil #chapsticksforeverybody #8wildnights #hanukkah #incaseyouweremixingitupwithChristmas
- RT @quinceandco: "Home," a new collection by Pam Allen. 18 projects for keeping comfortable & warm at home. http://t.co/AGWjnimnXr http://t… about 14 hours ago
- @LucyMedSor thank you and same to you and yours. ❤️ about 19 hours ago
- @RonRosenbaum1 @PippinParker @BCDreyer @Prince_Swarles canary in a chow mein about 22 hours ago
- RT @pourmecoffee: "There was only enough oil for one day. I don't understand it. http://t.co/3Cv9ukKzQd 1 day ago
- @skeinnydipping on the Purl Bee they have a ski hat in Cascade 220 that I believe is lined but not sure. From a few years ago. 1 day ago
- RT @planetepics: Undeniable proof cats are liquid http://t.co/jTspIylcmr about 7 hours ago
- RT @TheMindBlowing: The Alaskan tree frog. Freezes solid in winter, its heart stopping, then thaws in spring and merrily hops off http://t.… about 23 hours ago
- RT @KnitOTD: The Starsky and Hutch Tea Cosy http://t.co/lCRhnFcZ6X 🚔 really just Starsky 🚨 not the right sweater 👌 still awesome http://t.… 1 day ago
- What I Learned Trailing Kate Middleton for Three Days http://t.co/PcqyigprJC "Her ponytail made me want to be a better person." 1 day ago
- @purlsbeforewine @annabreslaw Brilliant idea! 1 day ago