Knit Less, Count More
April 30, 2016
I may have a Lifetime Achievement Sweater on the needles, but I still need to have a mindless garter or stockinette project to haul around in my bag for all those moments when I’m stuck doing something boring but at least I can knit.
The problem is, my current so-called mindless knitting is my Tokyo Shawl, which is pleasant and satisfying knitting, but not mindless.
See how it zigs and zags? That’s the result of a very simple formula: knit 20, yo, knit 48, k2tog, knit 20, yo, knit 48, k2tog, knit 20. Pretty easy. You can see where the yarnovers and knit2togethers go once they’re established. Right? Well, except the Tokyo Shawl alternates sections of stockinette and reverse stockinette. So just when you’ve got a groove going, you start having to do the sequence backwards from the other side of the fabric, where you can’t quite see it at first, so you have to count. It helps–a lot– if you count correctly. But 48 is a pretty high number to count to while you’re busy doing or half-doing something else.
To paraphrase George Washington’s line in Hamilton: Knitting is easy, young man. Counting is harder.
Recent Blog Posts
April 29, 2016 |
Dear Kay, Things are pretty busy at the moment, which means that I am having an excellent time procrastinating by sifting the Internet for gold. When the going gets tough, the tough get going . . . and read . . . blogs. Nuggets I have found: Tom...
April 28, 2016 |
Dear Ann, I have been on such an endorphin rush with this Kaffe Fassett Big Flower Jacket. It has taken years off my age. (Or maybe, years off my life? Those are two very different things.) This state of elation, of giddiness at the fun of knitting...
April 27, 2016 |
Dear Kay, I wish you could be right here watching this cake of Jill Draper’s Rifton unwind into this scarf. It’s pretty great. It may be the finest palate cleanser imaginable when you’ve been aiming hard at a complicated...
April 26, 2016 |
Dear Ann, As you know, I don’t like things that are messy. Like everyone else, I live in a perpetual ebb and flow of disorder, yet I struggle against it with all my might. (One of the happiest moments of my year just happened: the handyman...
April 25, 2016 |
Dear Kay, In search of a palate cleanser, I dug out a Work in Progress that has been marinating at least two years. In the process, I ended up going down a silkworm wormhole. This cowl started with a hand-dyed silk yarn I bought a while back...
April 24, 2016 |
Dear Ann: I’m plumb wore out from all my exertions in aid of Passover. I like to think that on their way home, my guests exclaimed, “Gosh, she makes it look so easy!” But in truth, I probably make it look hard. I tend to get a...
April 23, 2016 |
Dear Kay, In honor of Earth Day, here’s a ramble through my yard. This has been the greenest spring in the history of Nashville. Surely. A match for Jill Draper’s Rifton, in the colorway Spring. Which I happen to be knitting right...
- Too old for #springween 😩 42 minutes ago
- RT @TheDailyShow: An entire rap composed of actual Donald Trump quotes. "They Love Me" video >> https://t.co/i5bJZUburv #BlackTrump https:/… about 2 hours ago
- @BCDreyer there are little girls' restrooms now? #themoreyouknow about 3 hours ago
- RT @mlee525: When you're sad, just Google Image search "birds getting weighed". http://t.co/DUiH6kAlyK about 3 hours ago
- #teamlittleEdith https://t.co/TU5CQHKTWR 1 day ago
- How Trees Calm Us Down https://t.co/dszkMdDpdm about 4 hours ago
- After Shooting At Downtown Bus Station, Nashville Riders Want More Security https://t.co/IuTOJXQPaD about 3 days ago
- Letting the day slip by, with @jillmakesstuff's dreamy Rifton yarn, over at… https://t.co/TrA4Insz3k about 3 days ago
- Your last groove of the day: Got To Give It Up https://t.co/tKKJ5zRMfF about 4 days ago
- There's nothing good on the Internet tonight, Hubbo says. about 4 days ago