Clip & Save: A Sturdy Lopi Edge
February 13, 2016
I’ll be brief. In this political season, my car bumper is now sporting these stickers: “I’d Rather Be Banging Out a Sweater,” “Mary Jane Mucklestone for Metro School Board,” “Frack Less/Bang More,” and, my candidate this year: “Lopapeysa for President ’16.”
This tip comes from Hélène Magnusson, whose Icelandic Knitter is frankly helpful. She writes that the edge of a plutoloopy sweater will hold up better if you carry a lace yarn along with the tender, fragile plutoloopy while casting on.
Sounded like a great idea to me. I reached for the nearest non-plutoloopy yarn, which was actually Coats & Clark Double Duty Button Craft Thread, aka the stuff used for Alabama Chanin stitching.
It is a thread of unusual stoutness, and it was also closer by than the lace yarn located deep in Stash Zone Foxtrot.
At the edge you can see it if you look closely. It’s not even green. But in the general hairy chaos of this not-yarn, it’s not noticeable once you start to marvel at the general feathery lightness of the sweater you’ve started.
I’ll report back in ten or twenty years to let you know whether this strand of thread kept this edge in shape.
I am having 100% fun with this yarn. It has broken maybe five times so far, a problem akin to a shoelace that comes untied. It’s not like I dropped grandma’s crystal vase. I just rub the ends back together, and off I go.
Recent Blog Posts
February 12, 2016 |
Dear Ann, Hoo boy, there’s a lot going on out there in the knitting world. I’m just going to unfold my travel scissors and start hacking through the tall grass of all the stuff I want to tell you about. Denim People Have Feelings,...
February 11, 2016 |
Dear Kay, Late to the party, barging into the room waving my bag from Iceland: “IT’S HERE IT’S HERE YAAAAAAY!” Waiting two weeks for my Bang Out a Sweater yarn to arrive has given me the chance to wallow in all the...
February 10, 2016 |
Dear Ann, A little over a year ago I met artist Jennifer Wroblewski when our friend Cara Davis Conomos brought her to a little knitting event in the East Village that I’d had a hand in organizing. I couldn’t take my eyes off of...
February 9, 2016 |
Dear Kay, I don’t mean to cause trouble, but I have a bone to pick. There’s a very popular pattern floating around right now that hits the sweet, sweet, sweet spot of easy, comfortable, fast, and fun. The company that produced it, Blue...
February 8, 2016 |
Dear Ann, As the light faded yesterday afternoon, I snapped a progress photo of my Stopover for our Bang Out a Sweater knitalong. A couple of hours later, I had both sleeves done. (13 hours in so far; I’m still keeping track.) You know what...
February 7, 2016 |
Dear Kay, I humbly present a very special Lazy Sunday. I have had a thing for Alexander Hamilton since at least 2004. (See “Boo Freakin’ Hoo.”) You and I even paid a visit to the Alexander Hamilton Memorial Service Plaza on...
February 6, 2016 |
Dear Ann, You and I stopped by Knitty City last week, so we could ogle Lopi colors and I could pick up some Size 10 double-pointed needles for my Stopover sleeves. I spied a cardboard box on the floor. In it was a shrink-wrapped stack of Rowan...
- @TaraSwiger @annshayne INCREDIBLE about 20 hours ago
- RT @rosannecash: We all know him to be a proud, unpleasant sort of man, but this would be nothing if he had any sense. #JaneAustenOnDonaldT… 1 day ago
- RT @mercantile519: @KayGardiner could you share my water drop pattern with your followers? all proceeds to charity :) https://t.co/9BJ4YQn0… 1 day ago
- This has everything! https://t.co/bEc4wLhAi7 1 day ago
- Don't get me started on the soaring strings. #kennyrogers #throughtheyears 1 day ago
- Why Women Should Be Paying Attention to Dries Van Noten’s Gender-Bending Menswear https://t.co/qTHyEW16Rt via @voguemagazine about 4 hours ago
- Good NYT article on UNC basketball fake classes scandal. https://t.co/VS3UfXsM1j about 6 hours ago
- @KayGardiner @TaraSwiger Love them all--also love those Rainbow Shorties. Am rethinking my whole look now. https://t.co/VDx6omqldi about 17 hours ago
- Me wanty!!!! Thanks for the pattern sleuthing, @k82p! https://t.co/eYxYysVCve 1 day ago
- @jenACKnitwear not only Bangs Out a Sweater, she Pounds It Out. https://t.co/TW11G7E74f High five! 1 day ago