Lazy Valentine’s Day
February 14, 2016
Tampons and gum for everybody! I hope you had a lovely Galentine’s Day yesterday. I celebrated by taking a spin class, eating a Larabar, and being inspired by myself.
This beauty is not my Stopover. It belongs to Cris Bjork from western Iowa. Cris made her Stopover using your favorite unyarn, plutoloopy. Cris reports she has been knitting plotulopi for 30-some years, and “it never ceases to amaze.” You people are weakening my resolve.
I finished knitting the yoke on my own Stopover last night while watching The Manchurian Candidate on Channel 13. I don’t think a person could get through The Manchurian Candidate without some very compelling knitting to hold onto. You have to watch five episodes of Murder, She Wrote just to feel OK about Angela Lansbury again.
Apart from The Manchurian Candidate, my knittertainment recommendation for today is On Being, a radio show that is also a podcast. Host Krista Tippett asks deep questions of fascinating thinkers; people seem to bring their best selves to their interviews with her. Yesterday afternoon I listened to her talk with media and marketing thought leader Seth Godin. Another favorite On Being episode is with Rosanne Cash (and not just because Rosanne mentions in passing that I was teaching her to knit at the time, although that’s a very nice part of it for me). Looking for the link to that interview, I found this moving bit of music history. It’s that search for the tender truths of life that makes me love On Being.
Recent Blog Posts
February 13, 2016 |
Dear Kay, I’ll be brief. In this political season, my car bumper is now sporting these stickers: “I’d Rather Be Banging Out a Sweater,” “Mary Jane Mucklestone for Metro School Board,” “Frack Less/Bang...
February 12, 2016 |
Dear Ann, Hoo boy, there’s a lot going on out there in the knitting world. I’m just going to unfold my travel scissors and start hacking through the tall grass of all the stuff I want to tell you about. Denim People Have Feelings,...
February 11, 2016 |
Dear Kay, Late to the party, barging into the room waving my bag from Iceland: “IT’S HERE IT’S HERE YAAAAAAY!” Waiting two weeks for my Bang Out a Sweater yarn to arrive has given me the chance to wallow in all the...
February 10, 2016 |
Dear Ann, A little over a year ago I met artist Jennifer Wroblewski when our friend Cara Davis Conomos brought her to a little knitting event in the East Village that I’d had a hand in organizing. I couldn’t take my eyes off of...
February 9, 2016 |
Dear Kay, I don’t mean to cause trouble, but I have a bone to pick. There’s a very popular pattern floating around right now that hits the sweet, sweet, sweet spot of easy, comfortable, fast, and fun. The company that produced it, Blue...
February 8, 2016 |
Dear Ann, As the light faded yesterday afternoon, I snapped a progress photo of my Stopover for our Bang Out a Sweater knitalong. A couple of hours later, I had both sleeves done. (13 hours in so far; I’m still keeping track.) You know what...
February 7, 2016 |
Dear Kay, I humbly present a very special Lazy Sunday. I have had a thing for Alexander Hamilton since at least 2004. (See “Boo Freakin’ Hoo.”) You and I even paid a visit to the Alexander Hamilton Memorial Service Plaza on...
- RT @Lin_Manuel: Write day and night like you're running out of time. Gnight! https://t.co/FwXqVGwyyk about 14 hours ago
- @TaraSwiger @annshayne INCREDIBLE 1 day ago
- RT @rosannecash: We all know him to be a proud, unpleasant sort of man, but this would be nothing if he had any sense. #JaneAustenOnDonaldT… 1 day ago
- RT @mercantile519: @KayGardiner could you share my water drop pattern with your followers? all proceeds to charity :) https://t.co/9BJ4YQn0… 1 day ago
- This has everything! https://t.co/bEc4wLhAi7 1 day ago
- Why Women Should Be Paying Attention to Dries Van Noten’s Gender-Bending Menswear https://t.co/qTHyEW16Rt via @voguemagazine about 19 hours ago
- Good NYT article on UNC basketball fake classes scandal. https://t.co/VS3UfXsM1j about 21 hours ago
- @KayGardiner @TaraSwiger Love them all--also love those Rainbow Shorties. Am rethinking my whole look now. https://t.co/VDx6omqldi 1 day ago
- Me wanty!!!! Thanks for the pattern sleuthing, @k82p! https://t.co/eYxYysVCve 1 day ago
- @jenACKnitwear not only Bangs Out a Sweater, she Pounds It Out. https://t.co/TW11G7E74f High five! about 2 days ago