Bang Out a Sweater: It Came from Reykjavik
February 11, 2016
Late to the party, barging into the room waving my bag from Iceland: “IT’S HERE IT’S HERE YAAAAAAY!”
Waiting two weeks for my Bang Out a Sweater yarn to arrive has given me the chance to wallow in all the Banging Out of Sweaters that is going on. I’ve knit this Stopover sweater in my head at least three times by now.
I have been studying everybody’s projects over in the Bang Out a Sweater group, reveling in the chance to see so many versions of one sweater. I’m suffering from colorway envy and loving the sight of knitters modeling their finished Stopovers. So happy for everybody who’s made it to the other side.
Plütolopi yarn is like no other I’ve ever seen. My moment of swatching with Julie’s plötulopi only whetted my curiosity, so I’m eager to trade info with other souls working with this peculiar product.
Gerri kindly provided a link to Hélène Magnússon’s solid-gold plötulopi hints from The Icelandic Knitter. (Required reading for this knitalong. VERY juicy.) (Yes, we are all going to Iceland. What are we waiting for?)
Hélène writes that this unspun form of lopi yarn was scorned as lazy yarn—too lazy to spin it, apparently. Maybe that’s why this yarn is resonating with me!
The four plates of Winter Blue Heather arrived in a unit, yanked apparently from the comfort of their Icelandic life with 14 other plates.
They may be jellyfish, for all I know. The tentacles are intertwined. Maybe they’re spawning!
I really, really love the roughness of this stuff. It’s not scratchy, but it is definitely hairy. It feels like it may all fall apart if I squeeze it too hard. I’ve been debating whether to knit this yarn doubled, in order to increase the durability of my Stopover. Now that I see plötulopi in real life, I think I really do want to try it single, to see if a sweater made of this flurf is as light as I hope it will be.
I think there’s a troll stuck in there.
Recent Blog Posts
February 10, 2016 |
Dear Ann, A little over a year ago I met artist Jennifer Wroblewski when our friend Cara Davis Conomos brought her to a little knitting event in the East Village that I’d had a hand in organizing. I couldn’t take my eyes off of...
February 9, 2016 |
Dear Kay, I don’t mean to cause trouble, but I have a bone to pick. There’s a very popular pattern floating around right now that hits the sweet, sweet, sweet spot of easy, comfortable, fast, and fun. The company that produced it, Blue...
February 8, 2016 |
Dear Ann, As the light faded yesterday afternoon, I snapped a progress photo of my Stopover for our Bang Out a Sweater knitalong. A couple of hours later, I had both sleeves done. (13 hours in so far; I’m still keeping track.) You know what...
February 7, 2016 |
Dear Kay, I humbly present a very special Lazy Sunday. I have had a thing for Alexander Hamilton since at least 2004. (See “Boo Freakin’ Hoo.”) You and I even paid a visit to the Alexander Hamilton Memorial Service Plaza on...
February 6, 2016 |
Dear Ann, You and I stopped by Knitty City last week, so we could ogle Lopi colors and I could pick up some Size 10 double-pointed needles for my Stopover sleeves. I spied a cardboard box on the floor. In it was a shrink-wrapped stack of Rowan...
February 5, 2016 |
Dear Kay, It has been great to see in you in New York—a welcome respite from my yarn vigil at the front door back home. I felt like a fisherman’s wife, keeping an eye on the horizon for my Plötulopi yarn to arrive from Iceland. To fill...
February 4, 2016 |
Dear Ann, Our Bang Out a Sweater knitalong only officially started three days ago, but somehow this week has felt very full and long. It certainly feels full when you look at the mighty sweater-cranking that has been going on. I worry about whether...
- RT @grannywinkle: they threw their teacher a surprise party. He doesn't remember the last time he had a bday cake 🎈.. so cute 😭 https://t.c… about 1 hour ago
- RT @Podvesker: How People Learn to Become Resilient https://t.co/LrP8L1cpyE via @mkonnikova about 1 hour ago
- .@sonyaphilip on #Periscope: Stopover Sweater https://t.co/WZaHfWMXgC https://t.co/0HeJP0wsSY about 4 hours ago
- @Kikiluscious all is well, and all love gratefully received. ❤️ 1 day ago
- It's the season of self-denial, for sure. 💙 #lastblueheartuntilEaster #thankyouDuchess https://t.co/jx0dioQxYT 1 day ago
- Mesmerizing Migration: Watch 118 Bird Species Migrate Across Western Hemisphere https://t.co/gnkeuGbnyn about 5 hours ago
- RT @NC5: Titan Fans: @EddieGeorge2727 will appear on @ColbertLateShow with @StephenAtHome Tonight at 10:35 PM #nc5 1 day ago
- First time since 2001, Metro scrapes our icy street. Literally. #taxdollarsatwork #fluke 1 day ago
- Hubbo and I cleared the kitchen sink, and you'd think we'd just completed the Iditarod. 1 day ago
- Smashing mashing time at @nashfoodproject with @JudysChickens and @carringtonfox. https://t.co/VFcB8PXBKj 1 day ago