Dip, Hang, Repeat
May 1, 2014
Last Sunday I spent a glorious day at French General’s indigo dyeing workshop in a 19th century building at the South Street Seaport. (19th-Century turns out to mean “very badly lit,” but intrepid dyers were not deterred.)
All I can say is, here are some photos of heaven in a 5-gallon bucket.
The background music: vinyl. There is no digital in indigo.
Our leader, Kaari Meng, a tower of indigo power, at the vat. I adored her workshopping style: a 15 minute chat (while we got started on our shibori) to impart Indigo ABCs and Shibori 101, and then an entire day of learning by doing. Kaari and crew were ever hovering near the vats, ready to answer the pressing questions that only occur to a person when she is up to her elbows in fragrant blue sludge. (And loving it!)
Confession: I took a cherished gift to the vat. Cristina dyed some linen yarn for me, ages ago, and I knit it up into a raggy little summer scarf. I love it and have worn it to death but truth be told: it could be bluer. Things can always be bluer. Here’s the
The simplest shibori we did was to make little bundles with cotton scarves.
So cute I kind of wanted to keep them as-is, as objects. But after 7 or 8 dips, curiosity gets the better of one.
I don’t suppose I need to tell you that I kept the sticks. Tongue depressor art.
Things get lurid for a minute when you lift the sticks.
We unfurled our bundles with giddy delight. Unfurling never gets old.
Do it again! Do it again!
What more is there to say? BEST DAY EVER. I urgently recommend an indigo workshop to anyone in need of a blast of textile joy. Thank you, Meng sisters of French General. Please come back soon.
Recent Blog Posts
April 25, 2014 |
Dear Ann, In celebration of Fashion Revolution, make yourself something cute, of course–that is a priority. But also please run over to Gael Towey’s brand-new website, and watch her short film telling the story of Natalie...
April 24, 2014 |
Dear Ann, Wow. Wow. Wow. Your India Instagrams of sissy’s wedding are thrilling. The vibrancy of color and texture make my white Leaves of Grass shawl feel pasty by comparison. But hey, I’m a pasty person. All my people are pasty. Pasty...
April 22, 2014 |
Dear Kay, Finished. It’s a blanket now. The I-cord edging took two sessions of Masters tournament coverage. I was so hypnotized that I think I fell asleep at one point while simultaneously cranking attached I-cord. Always remember to do...
- @OliveAndMax @GingerPigLtd @TheWomensRoom we will be back soon--unscheduled hiatus. about 2 hours ago
- “@GingerPigLtd: Ok, we'll tell you, our NEW shop will be in ...*drum roll*... BARNES!!!” @TheWomensRoom about 2 days ago
- RT @mcsweeneys: Cartoon Character Revelations Inspired by the News that Hello Kitty is NOT a Cat... http://t.co/qeKQWGYUQP http://t.co/3AgA… about 3 days ago
- RT @ERPapers: IYAM August 1952: "I imagine my husband was the first person I remember, since I met him when I was two and he was a little o… about 3 days ago
- RT @StephenAtHome: Street artist JR’s Ellis Island exhibit opens Oct 1st. I’m sure his dad SR will be very proud. http://t.co/zlVHAvIIgu ht… about 3 days ago
- RT @peoplemag: Andrew Garfield’s beard: It's time to give your thoughts http://t.co/KNvM7Yj7JP about 17 hours ago
- RT @tinspiringwoman: Comparison is the thief of joy. 1 day ago
- RT @timesofindia: PV Sindhu enters World Badminton Championship semis after beating world no. 2 Shixian Wang of China 19-21, 21-19, 21-15 about 4 days ago
- #Nashville inky letterpressy superstar Bryce McCloud has a new studio. Take a tour: http://t.co/sUlrwBYYDH about 4 days ago
- RT @TheOnion: Students for whom this will be first time out of direct eyesight of parents: 85
% http://t.co/dpayLGMPfi http://t.co/uReCLra2iT about 4 days ago