A Great Big Sweater for 2016/2017
September 30, 2016
After knitting and loving a Relax and a Boxy, and being given a beautiful Lola pullover, I thought that when sweater weather rolled around again, I might lose a little of my fire for lightweight box-top sweaters.
I’ve worn these gently oversized sweaters constantly, and I’m going to continue to love wearing sweaters like them. The patterns that keep catching my eye are the Volvos of knitwear: they are boxy but good. Really good. So good that I’m writing down the yardage requirements so that this year, for the first time in all my Rhinebecks, I will be prepared to buy a sweater’s worth of the yarn of my dreams.
I am definitely laying in 1500 yards of sportweight for this one:
Granito by Joji Locatelli:
Just the right pockets, in just the right places.
If this sweater is not a huge hit, I’m going to stop betting on the horses.
(And if I haven’t convinced you, Ann, take a look at this chartreuse version.)
What are you laying in yarn for?
Happy weekend, all!
P.S. All My Rhinebecks is the working title of a dramedy I’m working on.
Recent Blog Posts
September 29, 2016 |
Dear Kay, Coming into the home stretch on the Rhinebeck Rectangle, and my pre-nostalgia for this project has already overwhelmed me. Oh, Spring Fever rectangle thingy by Amy Miller! You were with me on many phone calls, that binge-watch of The...
September 28, 2016 |
Dear Ann, I don’t know about you, but all this typing and proofreading has me yearning for a night out and a party. (I actually do know about you: you’re ready for a night out and a party.) There’s lots to celebrate, and an...
September 27, 2016 |
Dear Kay, There’s one occasion when knitting a scarf is superior to knitting a cowl: when you get the thing long enough that you can wear it while still adding to it. Today is the first day when I can feel autumn in the air conditioning, so...
September 26, 2016 |
Dear Ann, If your Instagram feed is anything like mine, it’s starting to blow up with glorious images of Shetland Wool Week. It looks like a lot of fun. It sure is far away. Someday we will get there, my girl! Meanwhile, there is other big...
September 25, 2016 |
Dear Kay, It’s 1965 and I just got home from Shea Stadium, ears still ringing from Beatles songs played full blast. It’s the best feeling ever. The new documentary The Beatles: Eight Days a Week—The Touring Years focuses on the first...
September 24, 2016 |
Dear Ann, Our blog’s meltdown on Thursday was quite dramatic, wasn’t it? It was the longest outage since we’ve been doing this, and a total surprise. We’ve been told it was the carburetor. Who knows? Triple A took its time...
September 22, 2016 |
Dear Kay, On a busy Friday, we all need to stop, drop, and look at wallpapers. Since 1946, Farrow & Ball has created paint that somehow seems more special than other paint. Why? They explain it all for you. They’re into wallpaper too,...
- RT @LouiseTilbrook1: @knittingtastic @petapixel I don't know who she is either but she could do with a nice warm woolly jumper about 7 hours ago
- RT @JillMakesStuff: The video in this article is fascinating, I would have thought the staple length would be shortened after all that chew… about 15 hours ago
- @SamuraiKnitter false binary! about 16 hours ago
- @coopknits @finngirl5 dunk a piece of shortbread in a jar of lemon curd--this would do it for me. about 16 hours ago
- @coopknits It was my childhood birthday "cake." 🍋🍋🍋>🍫🍫🍫 about 16 hours ago
- Am casting on Skies over the Cumberland tonight! So glorious, Jill. https://t.co/zO6xGSRKXO 1 day ago
- Shouldn't they forfeit their ... jobs? https://t.co/K78WlH7aau about 2 days ago
- Modesty is so attractive...Robert Gottlieb: the editor who changed American literature https://t.co/efOCGFucyg about 2 days ago
- Looking for post-debate panel with the most talking heads? #debatenight about 3 days ago
- ICYMI: Andrew Sullivan Liveblogs the First Presidential Debate https://t.co/E1OdlbyktV via @intelligencer about 3 days ago