The Sock of No Help
July 27, 2016
The knitting you do when you’re worried. The knitting you do when you don’t know what’s going to happen next. The knitting you do when there’s no help to give.
Sound familiar? I was doing all three today, on one sock that wasn’t really up to the task.
A friend of my son came down with bacterial meningitis yesterday. He was with a group of his friends, my son Clif included, on a day that had been a brilliant summer afternoon of teenagers tubing on the river. Within hours of sunshine, scraped elbows, and supper, Clif’s friend was very, very sick.
This is the sort of shock that comes only out of the blue, hard and fast and ugly. No warning. You get the news, and your head spins. The mom of your son’s friend floats in your imagination—that brilliant mom, the mom you have always admired even as you envied her a little because she made raising four boys seem so easy. You recall the conversations where her cool head and generosity made you go wow, she’s so on it. You think of the dad, flying into town as fast as he can. A great dad.
The health department people tell you to give your own son this pill or that pill to prevent against his catching it. You have no idea whether any of it is necessary, or crucially important, or somewhere in between. You give your boy the pills anyway, fingers crossed. And you wait, low odds that anything will happen to him, but it’s such a bitter pill, knowing that his friend didn’t get any sort of warning at all, no chance to head it off with an easy prescription.
Signs are good that Clif’s friend will come through this OK. I don’t pray, most days, but I’ve cooked up some doozies today. I think I’ve hit highlights of most world religions at this point.
Hug your children tonight and revel in the ease of it all, the simplicity of a day where absolutely nothing happens.
Recent Blog Posts
July 26, 2016 |
Dear Ann, After the triumphant finish to my Fort Tryon Wrap, I was casting about for my next take-along knitting project. I was also yearning, as always, for The Perfect Summer Scarf. Summer scarves are tricky. You want something cotton or linen or...
July 25, 2016 |
Dear Kay, Oh, the finish line. I’m having flashbacks to finish lines of my past, the few times I managed to get my schnozz together to tie my shoes, show up on time, and hit the start line along with all the other better trained, more...
July 24, 2016 |
Dear Ann, Sometimes in the middle of the night, I sit up in bed and scream (silently, the worst kind of scream), “WHAT IF I RUN OUT OF BRITISH DETECTIVE SHOWS?” I intend to live a long life, and spend much of it parked in front of a...
July 23, 2016 |
Dear Kay, What a DAY. Scored all sorts of treasure at the bazaar here at the Assembly. It was a cavalcade of crafting, a melange of making. The concept of “shop local” was deep in my heart, given that the bazaar takes place maybe 100...
July 22, 2016 |
Dear Ann, It’s a sheep-off! I’m beginning to think that sheep are taking up cinematography as a profession. After I posted on Monday about Visit Norway’s charming sheep-centric tourism campaign, several people wrote to tell me...
July 21, 2016 |
Dear everybody, Big doings! I just got a boxful of a fancy new book, The Mason-Dixon Knitting Coloring Book for Knitters. New? Hasn’t it been out since December? Yes and yes. Our beloved publisher, Clarkson Potter, has just released a trade...
July 20, 2016 |
Dear Ann: What a pleasure to knit up Olive’s new dog coat. (For those just joining the program, it’s the Give-a-Dog-a-Bone Coat from Debbie Bliss’s book, Woolly Woofers.) The only bit that gave me the slightest trouble was doing...
- @mutablejoe #teamSue 3 minutes ago
- RT @TheRealBuzz: 47 years ago I submitted my travel voucher reimbursement for my trip to the moon. #Apollo11 https://t.co/DHAXEYVTHi 5 minutes ago
- @AhistoricalPics the hair club for men 7 minutes ago
- @thealexandrawi @TeaAndTents @WomensInstitute that doesn't look like tea 😉 8 minutes ago
- RT @Writer_DG: Historical. Men and women _did_ knit in Scotland in 18th century. https://t.co/cYXTCADMRw 19 minutes ago
- RT @KayGardiner: "I will not contribute my name, my work, or my character to an utterly indefensible cause." https://t.co/KgDTOVSwxZ about 2 days ago
- RT @YRP: Just another day in York Region.... More cows on the loose in the area of Hwy9 east of Hwy27. Watch out drivers and moooove out of… about 5 days ago
- Speaker supports session to oust accused lawmaker https://t.co/S1EjyFci5w via @WKRN. Finally. She finally gets it. about 5 days ago
- Marsha Blackburn has a superweird cadence to her speech. about 6 days ago
- Andrew Sullivan Liveblogs the RNC, Night 4 https://t.co/rcqaEeOQpJ via @intelligencer about 6 days ago