Starcroft Has Landed
January 13, 2015
Popping in with exciting pop-up news. This all started a few months ago when I heard that my friend Lisa Fox’s shop on East 7th Street, lf8 (Elevate) would be available for a short time in January. Hmmm, I thought. I asked Gale Zucker, who is connected to a vast network of shepherds and dye pots, if she knew of a yarn maker who’d like to bring her wares to New York. I can hardly believe it really happened. Dreams do come true, Ann. I hope you realize that. (For those who are wondering, I don’t have anything invested in this micro-venture but love. Corny I know! I’m just a simple girl who loves long, narrow shops crammed with yarn and knitters.)
The story of the Nash Island sheep is beautiful: the flock was started nearly 100 years ago by the little daughter of a lighthouse keeper, who tended it throughout her long life and left it to the care of friends. Also beautiful is the yarn that Jani (pictured above) makes from the wool of these Coopworth-Romney sheep. Read about it on the Starcroft website.
lf8 (Elevate) provides the perfect ambiance for some fogwashed wool that is new in town. Prepare yourself for many choices of coffee and food in the neighborhood. The beard-watching is unmatched this side of Brooklyn.
I’ll be there for two knit & chat events in the shop, on Thursday evening from 6-9, and then on Saturday afternoon from 3-6. Gale will be there on Thursday evening, as will a star-studded list-in-formation of local (and, possibly, visiting) designers and knitting folk. The shop is tiny; come and practice your stand-up knitting, and your self control around piles of beautiful wool.
Hope to see lots of you there.
Recent Blog Posts
December 10, 2014 |
Dear Ann, I don’t know about you, but during life’s persistently hectic patches, I find that it helps to knit small log cabin squares. Or whatever unchallenging yet absorbing thing one likes to knit. For me, right now, it’s...
November 26, 2014 |
Dear Kay, With Thanksgiving upon us, I’d like to offer up a holiday recipe that we’ve been discussing over on the Instagram. You may say: “No photo; didn’t happen.” Well, I’ve got the pix to prove it. Birthday...
November 19, 2014 |
Dear Kay, The pile of yarn doesn’t seem to be getting any smaller. I knit and knit and knit, yet the ecru yarn persists. It’s . . . spawning. There must be five miles of ecru yarn here. It does not help that I am being offered skeins...
- RT @darkmatterknits: Norah Gaughan, you're amazing. That Chainlink pullover in the new @brooklyntweed collection made my brain explode. htt… about 3 hours ago
- What has *your* co-knitblogger written lately, hmmm? #cobloggettepride http://t.co/YUrkrylIxz about 7 hours ago
- RT @annshayne: This Is All So Unsettlingly Queasy: The Vanderbilt Rape Trial. My thoughts over at http://t.co/qGoz1Aq1Xf #vandytrial about 8 hours ago
- @TrueBritknits @marthabilski @TheWomensRoom the one in far left is Olive. #explainsalotaboutOlive about 8 hours ago
- @TrueBritknits @marthabilski @TheWomensRoom Time to look at this again. http://t.co/3Y5OzmU9q4 about 8 hours ago
- RT @frontlinepbs: Has the #NFL concussion crisis changed the way you feel about kids playing football? http://t.co/xYmESiXoEG http://t.co/T… 8 minutes ago
- In Response to Student Misconduct, Dartmouth to Ban Hard Liquor http://t.co/o2jsaTsFv8 about 4 hours ago
- @cauchy09 But you're MY hero ... about 6 hours ago
- @cauchy09 Agree completely that athletes are only a portion of campus rapists! Wish I could write a book about these complex issues... about 6 hours ago
- @ofthestardust So true. That Vandy security guy who saw wrongdoing on video and did right thing by investigating it: very good guy. about 10 hours ago