Bring Me My Smelling Salts
September 17, 2014
What is this big box I’m typing into? Why doesn’t it cut me off after 140 characters? Where is the RT button?
My dear Ann. We have experienced the powerful, dark psychology of Not Blogging. The upside of not blogging for 5 months, though, is looking at the pictures on my phone and marveling at everything I’ve knitted, sewn, and eaten (remember Annie’s Beer Garden?) in 5 months, all the places I’ve gone in a rush and all the milestones achieved by the various Young Persons in my life. All the chores. All the gin and tonics. (The one from Marks & Spencer, in a can, was a high point.) All the people-tending (them tending me and me tending them) and schedule-wrangling. It was a crazy, good, crazy summer.
I missed being here, but it took a shock to my system, a bracing jolt of WHAT THE HECK, to bring me back to the keyboard. Last week I learned this: NORO SILK GARDEN COMES IN SOLID COLORS NOW.
I am rendered almost senseless by this news. But not so senseless that I didn’t get over to Webs and order a modest pile of the deep blue Noro Silk Garden Solo. In my experiments combining Noro Silk Garden and Rowan Denim, I actually dreamed of there being a deep blue solid of Noro Silk Garden. I haven’t quite figured it out yet, but the idea of a monochrome blanket, in which texture plays the role of color, is tantalizing. Or maybe the blanket is a sweater. (I’ve got some work to do here.)
Mixing a yarn that is meant to shrink and fade with one that is a blend of wool, silk, and cashmere: what could possibly go wrong?
I can’t think of a thing.
Recent Blog Posts
September 15, 2014 |
Dear friends, pals, chums, random visitors who end up here because they Googled “log cabin,” We are grateful for all your cards and notes inquiring about the state of Mason-Dixon Knitting and the future of our bi-regional knitting...
May 1, 2014 |
Dear Ann, Last Sunday I spent a glorious day at French General’s indigo dyeing workshop in a 19th century building at the South Street Seaport. (19th-Century turns out to mean “very badly lit,” but intrepid dyers were not...
April 25, 2014 |
Dear Ann, In celebration of Fashion Revolution, make yourself something cute, of course–that is a priority. But also please run over to Gael Towey’s brand-new website, and watch her short film telling the story of Natalie...
- #stuffknitterssay RT @AustenGilliland: @BristolIvy Also, 2x2 ribbing is a real emotional roller coaster, I must admit. ;) about 2 hours ago
- RT @NewYorkFBI: Do your part and RT this. Someone, somewhere has seen Frein. http://t.co/WN0jElDyHE http://t.co/wM2NZ6BCFM about 2 hours ago
- RT @politicoroger: RT @BeschlossDC FDR at age 5 in Scottish kilt: #FDRL http://t.co/CwhHjNg6qM about 3 hours ago
- RT @WernerTwertzog: No, FDR, I do not accept your sonorous tautologies. We had very much to fear, far more than you could admit. about 6 hours ago
- RT @ChrchCurmudgeon: However this comes out, better stock up on Scotch tape. #ScotlandDecides about 6 hours ago
- RT @TheScotsman: Western Isles #indyref result: No vote 10,545 (53.4
%); Yes vote 9,195 (46.6 %) - http://t.co/e3BZE2RVWk about 2 hours ago
- RT @TheScotsman: Shetland #indyref result: No votes 9,951 (63.71
%); Yes votes 5,669 (36.29 %) - http://t.co/e3BZE2RVWk about 2 hours ago
- Big Kenny on the Beauty & Benefits of Trees | The Nature Conservancy http://t.co/LXnRn3HcqN I LOVE BIG KENNY because he loves trees. about 2 hours ago
- RT @TheOnion: David Cameron To Scottish People: ‘I’ll Kill Myself If You Leave’ http://t.co/vE6YK8Gosx http://t.co/3LEdSJ0y5z about 13 hours ago
- Kermit: FOOD LADYS BOOTS AR GREAT. Elliott: TOO BIG. http://t.co/WPPm06xxuj about 15 hours ago