If There’s a Cure For This
July 23, 2007
It’s a rainy Monday, and I’ve got a ferocious case of finishitis. Unlike startitis, which is as common as dirt, finishitis is quite rare. Some people say there’s no such thing, that finishitis is a legend made up to scare yarn manufacturers. Other people say that in all reported cases of finishitis, the knitter was also in the last hours of pregnancy and was doing other weird stuff like rearranging all the furniture and disinfecting the Tupperware. (Because she was “NOT going to bring a newborn home to this hellhole!”)
How does a person contract finishitis? Researchers at the Centers for Disease Control believe that the virus is transmitted from stash to stash. I’ll admit, with all the book-knitting, my stash has been on the prowl. Fiber snobs would blame it on my XXL collection of dishcloth cotton–who knows where it’s been? But I don’t want to play the blame game. As diseases go, finishitis is a pretty good deal. Major symptoms: euphoria, self-righteousness, and buying buttons.
Anyway, I’m pretty sure I’ve got it. (I’m NOT going to bring new yarn home to this hellhole.) I’ve been dragging out old projects and weaving in ends like it’s nothing.
Remember the Abe Blankie?
The Abe Blankie was abandoned after its first border was deemed to be rolling. This was Not Acceptable, but until now I lacked the gumption to remove the old border and add a wider one. Snip-snap, it’s done. (It’s funny that with a blanket this wonky-by-design, a little thing like a rolling edge could be Not Acceptable, but it was.)
Remember Buncha Squares, my tribute to Denyse Schmidt’s tribute to the Gee’s Bend quilts? Buncha was abandoned when I was dissatisfied with all available methods of joining the squares together. Mattress stitch didn’t look good with the garter squares, and the 3-needle bindoff, while I love it, was adding a distracting element and also–it’s awfully picky-uppy to join small squares this way. Lots and lots of ends to weave in and they never look just right.
Solution: bury project in plastic bag for one solid year. During this year, learn how Cara joined her green garter stitch log cabin squares together. It’s so easy, and I already knew how to do it: whip stitch. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that for joining garter stitch squares together, whip stitch is THE way to go. This blanket came together in one evening once I decided to do it this way, even with stopping to knit additional strips to equalize the sizes of the squares. It’s not done yet, because I had 2 leftover squares and decided to knit 2 more so I could have a 16-square blanket, and add a little Yoshiko Jinzenji mojo to this blanket. (Startitis is a well-known complication of finishitis.)
In other news–and I think this is consistent with a diagnosis of finishitis–I am knitting hubby’s Cornish Knit Frock a whole new way: Wendy style. Meaning that I am going to keep knitting it, without any unexplained disappearances in plastic bags, until it is done. Crazy!
Think I’m kidding? This is Sleeve One. Sleeve One measured 30 inches before washing. It measures 25 inches after washing, which is what it needs to measure, even factoring in the substantial drop shoulder in the design of this pullover. (I cannot believe that I married a man whose sleeves are garments in their own right, but what’s done is done. It’s either knit him a sweater, or not.)
Frock Sleeve 2 is already up to the Fun Part. I really love this pattern (from Jane and Patrick Gottelier’s forthcoming book,Indigo Knits). Just the right amount of knittertainment, but easy enough to carry it around without the pattern.
As you can see, I’m not nearly as productive as I’d be if your Buffy were in charge up here, but I’m doing what I can. (I have to give snaps to you two for taking the kids to the Jack Daniels factory. Way to put the ‘belt’ in Bible Belt!)