Lighten Up: A Month of Getting Rid of Stuff
January 6, 2014
Who kicked the plug out of the heater? I opened the door to take out the trash and it was SPICYcold. I think we broke ten degrees. These are glory days for us knitters; I’m wearing everything I ever made. It’s almost enough.
A belated Happy New Year to everybody. The word for 2014 is LIGHTEN. In the interest of lightening, I decided to get rid of stuff around the house. I wanted to get rid of enough stuff that it felt like SOMETHING WAS HAPPENING. But I didn’t want it to get to be a burden or a bore, so I decided on these guidelines:
1. Fifty things a day have to go. If the 50 things are contained in another thing (i.e., a half-empty bag of FlavorBlast Nitro Fritos unearthed under the sofa), that’s one thing, not 50. I picked 50 because I have 18 years of child-rearing encrusted throughout the house, so there’s a lot of raw material to work with. Whatever number seems easy for you is the right number.
2. “Go” means either a) recycling, b) Goodwill, or c) trashcan. Psychic points awarded for the first two, but try not to feel bad about the third option. Sometimes stuff just has to go. I AM NOT GIVING OLD UNDERPANTS TO GOODWILL.
3. When 50 things have been gotten rid of, stop. Do not go for 60, or 55, or 51. This leaves you itchy to finish that kitchen cabinet the next day, and joyous anticipation is part of this project. I CAN’T WAIT TO DITCH THAT EIGHT-YEAR-OLD BAG OF GRANOLA.
4. Set a deadline. I’m doing this until the end of January. That will be 1,500 things out of this house.
5. Pro tip. If you’re pinched for time, go for a cosmetics drawer or a pile of magazines. Also: go for the most visible parts of your home first. Save the sentimental scrapbooky hard parts for maybe never.
As of Day 6, I have ditched 300 things, and I haven’t even stepped into the Boy Zone. And I guess it goes without saying that the Stash Zones are exempt from this entire project. Sort of like diplomatic immunity or something. However, I am embarrassed to report that in my ditching, I have uncovered some truly choice yarns that I had completely forgotten buying. SCORE!
In knitting news, I have good knitting to report, including a finished object. Please stay tuned.