Here’s a Seasonal Activity that I can recommend: before Hanukkah is over, mend a dear one’s Christmas stocking.
Goddaughter Rose, of Providence, Rhode Island, has suffered an injury to the Christmas stocking she has enjoyed since the age of 1. Over its long summer’s nap, the stocking was attacked by attic vermin, species unknown.
Store-bought (Garnet Hill) but good.
Investigators suspect a mouse. The investigator who is Rosie’s mother suspects that perhaps a bit of chocolate or other leftover treat was left in the stocking after last year’s celebrations. Rose has refused to answer on the grounds that she may have done that.
My theory, and it may be crazy but hear me out: Chex Mix.
The hole is in an Awkward Spot, right on the front, the same side that says ROSE.
I was requested to make repairs. I’m not a mender, or a very good one, but the task seemed squarely within the four corners of the godmother job description. I will do my duty to preserve, protect, and defend the constitution of this stocking.
I briefly flirted with making her a New Ancestral Christmas Stocking. It’s such a fine version of the classic old-school stocking, I’ve always wanted to make one, and the appeal of just starting over is very strong. Truth be told, I’d rather knit for ten hours than mend for one.
But if you want to knit a kid a stocking, you have to get there early. In this case, I was 16 years too late.
I dithered about materials for a bit. The stocking is machine made, at a small gauge; it’s a little starchy. I needed something thin, in colors that would fit in.
Wie Geht’s, Knitty City?
My LYS, Knitty City, came to the rescue by stocking these little Regia nubbins of Stopf-und Beilaufgarn, which translates to “darning and reinforcement thread.”
I set to work while watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade.
The best description for my method here: winging it. I didn’t want to do a proper woven sock darn because of the placement. I felt like the patch should be knitted. I picked up stitches along the bottom and sides of the hole, with a safe margin for unraveling, and started knitting.
I’m not sure if my little checkerboard of green and white is very effective, but it’s cheerful.
I switched to red. I triangulated a bit at the top of the patch. I sewed it down along the free edges. I turned the stocking inside out and wove in the ends, and worked an overcast stitch to encase any loose stitches around the hole.
It still needs a little work—or a complete do-over—but you get the idea.
The pom pom is for fun, and will serve in future years as a reminder of Auntie Kay’s great pom pom enthusiasm of 2018.
A little more fussing, a shot of steam, and back it goes to Rhode Island. I’m voting for storage somewhere besides the attic, and sending the Regia thread with it, just in case.
Thank goodness I had help.
The sound effect for this photo is continuous high-pitched whining, due to A Stranger being in the apartment.