We are delighted to announce the imminent arrival of MDK March Mayhem 2020.
If you’re just joining us, you’re in for a good time.
MDK March Mayhem is the world’s finest, most amazing, awesomest (OK, only) championship of knitting patterns.
It’s a celebration of the designers who knocked it out of the park in the past year—a kind-hearted competition where 64 designs appear in a bracket not unlike the bracket that the NCAA uses for its college basketball tournament.
The difference here is that MDK March Mayhem begins with 64 winners—every pattern that makes it to the bracket is truly spectacular. (Have a look at last year’s kickoff post and bracket, and you’ll see what we mean! The photos in the gallery up top are 2019’s bracket entries, all published by independent designers in 2018.)
There will be five rounds of voting online by readers of MDK, the last of which will determine a champion. (The prizes: glory! bragging rights!) Then everybody runs off to knit March Mayhem patterns that they adore.
You have an important role to play: voting! Five rounds of voting online! Democracy all over the place! Your votes will determine the champion.
Help Us Find the Great Patterns of 2019
Aside from having a rollicking good time discovering and voting on knitting patterns, the main goal for MDK March Mayhem is to celebrate the work of independent designers, and show off wonderful examples of good design.
There are so many patterns published in a year that a diamond can easily disappear into the rough.
So we ask your help today. Help us find the great patterns of 2019!
What Patterns Qualify?
- Pattern must have been published for the first time during 2019.
- Pattern must be a paid pattern. No free patterns, please. (One goal of MDK March Mayhem is to put actual bread in the pockets of these designers, by boosting pattern sales.)
- Pattern must be available by download.
How to Suggest a Pattern
- Email your nomination to us here: mdkmarchmayhem AT gmail.com. Please do not leave a comment on this post with your pattern suggestion. We will avidly look at everything, but it needs go to the email address so we can keep it all straight.
- Put the pattern name in the subject line.
- Provide a Ravelry link or other link that takes us directly to the pattern.
- Please limit your suggestions to one or two patterns. It’s hard, but you can do it!
- Deadline for nominations: Sunday, February 2, 11:59 pm Central time.
To get a feel for March Mayhem, you can visit last year’s bracket (we do this all the time) to see a lot of glorious knitting. This year’s categories will change. But the spirit will be the same: to have a great time thinking about the folks who are providing us with such brilliant things to make.
No Spoilers, But . . .
The bracket just might include a category for socks this year. So, yeah. Think about the great socks of 2019, and shout your favorite out to us.