We are delighted to announce the imminent arrival of MDK March Mayhem 2019.
If you’re just joining us, you’re in for a good time.
MDK March Mayhem is the world’s finest, most amazing, awesomest (OK, only) championship of knitting patterns.
It’s a celebration of the designers who knocked it out of the park in the past year—a kind-hearted competition where 64 designs appear in a bracket not unlike the bracket that the NCAA uses for its college basketball tournament.
The difference here is that MDK March Mayhem begins with 64 winners—every pattern that makes it to the bracket is truly spectacular. (Have a look at the 2018 bracket, which includes the Neck & Shoulder category designs shown up top, and you’ll see what we mean!)
There will be five rounds of voting online by readers of MDK, the last of which will determine a champion. (Grand prize? Glory! Bragging rights!) Then everybody runs off to knit March Mayhem patterns that they adore.
You have an important role to play: voting! Five rounds of voting online! Democracy all over the place! Your votes will determine the champion.
Help Us Find the Great Patterns of 2018
Aside from having a rollicking good time discovering and voting on knitting patterns, the main goal for MDK March Mayhem is to celebrate the work of independent designers, and show off wonderful examples of good design.
There are so many patterns published in a year that a diamond can easily disappear into the rough.
So we ask your help today. Help us find the great patterns of 2018!
What Patterns Qualify?
- Pattern must have been published for the first time during 2018.
- Pattern must be a paid pattern. No free patterns, please. (We see MDK March Mayhem as a way to put actual bread in the pockets of these designers. From what we hear, MDK March Mayhem is a significant boon in terms of pattern sales.)
- Pattern must be available by download. We realize this is somewhat arbitrary, but hey—we’re trying to gin up some dough for these people.
- We cannot be bribed, though flattery and fake-laughing at our dumb jokes are always welcomed.
How to Suggest a Pattern
- Email your nomination to us here: mdkmarchmayhem AT gmail.com. Please do not leave a comment on this post with your pattern suggestion. We will avidly look at everything, but it needs go to the email address so we can keep it all straight.
- Put the pattern name in the subject line.
- Provide a Ravelry link or other link that takes us directly to the pattern, and please limit your suggestions to one or two patterns. It’s hard, but you can do it!
- Deadline for nominations: Sunday, January 20, 2019, 11:59 pm Central time.
To get a feel for March Mayhem, you can visit last year’s bracket (we do this all the time) to see a lot of glorious knitting. This year’s categories will change. But the spirit will be the same: to have a great time thinking about the folks who are providing us with such brilliant things to make.
In Related News
This year, we have a stupendous announcement to make regarding the upcoming MDK Field Guide, which will launch in March. This may seem unrelated to March Mayhem, but we promise you, it’s relevant. Please stay tuned for this bit of news. Let’s just say we are chuffed to bits about Field Guide No. 10, and we think you will be, too.