Dear beloved knitters,
Last March, fans of American college basketball went nuts for three weeks over the NCAA tournament.
Fans of knitting went nuts for three weeks over MDK March Mayhem, our championship of knitting patterns—The Bracket for Knitters.
Well, it’s a whole new year, and there’s a whole new year of patterns to celebrate. Mayhem returns, and we’re so excited. The two of us have been having a ton of fun, hunting and pecking through independently designed patterns published in 2017.
This year’s March Mayhem tournament of knitting patterns will have four brackets, or categories:
- Yoke Sweaters (2017 was the Year of the Yoke, after all.)
- All Other Sweaters: Sweaters constructed without round yokes, including pullovers and cardigans for women and men.
- Neck and Shoulders: Scarves, cowls, and shawls.
- Friends of Miniskeins: Projects of any type that play nice with miniskeins.
We would love to hear from you. What were your favorite patterns, in these categories, in 2017?
Aside from having a rollicking good time discovering and voting on awesome knitting patterns, our main goal for March Mayhem is to celebrate the work of independent designers, and show off wonderful examples of good design. There are so many patterns published in a year that a diamond can easily disappear into the rough. Good designers can have a tough time making a living.
So we do have a few simple rules of thumb. Patterns should be:
- Designed by an individual.
- Published in 2017.
- Available by download from the designer.
- Not free.
How to Suggest a Pattern
- Give us a Ravelry link or other link that takes us directly to the pattern, and please limit your suggestions to one or two patterns. It’s hard, but you can do it!
- Email your pattern suggestion to us here: mdkmarchmayhem AT gmail.com. Please do not leave a comment with your pattern suggestion. We will avidly look at everything, but it needs go to the email address.
- Deadline for suggestions: Sunday, February 11, midnight Pacific time.
Ann and Kay
PS If you are new to MDK March Mayhem, it’s fun to see the patterns that were included last year. Up top are contenders from last year’s championship. To really spend time with a gorgeous bunch of knitting, here are the Ravelry pages for the 64 patterns that vied for the massive bragging rights and joy of being MDK March Mayhem Champion. We can hardly wait until the glorious day when the 2018 MDK March Mayhem bracket is revealed.