I love my new friend Frappr. I especially love having a friend whose name has 3 consonants in a row. Just like Flickr! (Coincidence?) Have you seen some of the cwazy pictures people are putting up? Also, did you notice how many of our readers are cats, dogs, and babies? That surprised me, seeing as how they all seem to know so much about cocktails when they’re participating in the Future Search. Our people: A bunch of hard-drinking cats, dogs and babies who knit.
I send you this letter in my official capacity as your Frappr Administrator. This is a mighty position of much responsibility, as you can well imagine. The main challenge for me so far has been remembering the password. But as a member of the elite corps of Frappr Administrators, I have learned a couple of cool things about Frappr, which I’d like to share.
1. If you didn’t put up a picture, and you sorely regret that now? No worries! Just go back to ‘add yourself’ again, and this time add a picture. Frappr is so smart that it will recognize you, and add the picture to your little pushpin on the map.
2. Speaking of the pushpins, have you noticed that if you click on a pushpin, a little thought bubble comes up, with the person’s picture and shout out? Isn’t that cool? Also, if you click on the names in the right sidebar of the Frappr screen, the little thought bubble will pop out of the map and show you the person.
3. What if you want to change your picture? Just go to ‘add yourself’ again, add a new picture. Frappr, whipsmart, will switch that picture for your old picture. You can only have one picture, but you can change it.
4. URLs and you. If you type in a web address that starts with http://, our smart buddy Frappr will make it a clickable link. It can be clicked from the map or the scroll of names, or the shout-outs. So if you have a blog, and curious people (like for example, me) want to visit your blog, they can just click on the link.
5. You can add to your shout out! So if you didn’t put in your URL, and you want to, go ahead and add it. Mr. Smartypants will find you on the map and add to your thought bubble.
6. Privacy. I’m a private person, shy and retiring. OK, so I’m not, but as your Frappr Administrator, I chose not to make our map ‘public’. This means it is not viewable on Frappr by clicking ‘browse other sites’ (which is kind of fun to do by the way–some people actually appear to be crazier than us), but obviously it is viewable by anyone who has the link to our map (i.e., people who visit this blog).
7. What if you don’t like your shout out? If you have shouted unwisely or intemperately, you can’t edit your shout out, but you can email me and ask me to do it for you. OR, by becoming a registered user of Frappr, you can gain the Awesome Power to Remove. Registered users can remove their own entries and start all over. You can always add to your shout out, though, whether you are a registered user or not (see Point 5).
My fellow FrapprFolk, my message is simple: I, and I’m sure lots of people who are looking at the map, would love to be able to visit the blogs of the people who are on the map. So please feel free to go in, shout out again, and add your URL.
Okay, have a fun, safe, knitcentric weekend everybody.